Tuesday, August 01, 2017

Home Week Day 2



Our Home Week started off with Samuel having eye surgery on Monday. We've known this could be a possibility for years and it finally came to this for him. It sounded fairly minor and like it wouldn't be a big ordeal but I would not say that was the case. {ahem}

This was another big reason I wanted to plan a Home Week so that we wouldn't have a lot of places to go or outside expectations while he was recovering and needing to rest and just lay low at home. He did great and his surgery went well, though quite a bit bigger of a deal than we had thought. We won't really know for a couple of months if it was successful long term.

I started this day out with a little bit of journaling and reading 1 Corinthians 14:33a, "For God is not a God of disorder but of peace ..." About a year ago, I heard a message at our church which really helped me in thinking about my time. He used the passage from 1 Corinthians 14 and said this:

See my time as divided into pieces like a pie, give each piece part of my time to maintain balance. When my life feels out of balance and chaotic, pull back and ask where are my priorities out of order? Get my priorities back in order and receive the calmness of Christ.

I printed these words out along with a pretty pie photo I found online and laminated it to keep handy and remind my heart and mind of the truths of ordering my time!







Unrelated to camping: I'm showing you my time pie and how I've typed out and laminated the quote above to keep handy below. I've also made a printable that you can use during your own time of reflection. You can print the blank here!

Psalm 90:12, "Teach us to number our days, that we may gain a heart of wisdom."



What have you been struggling to find time for? What are your best time management helps?

4 comments:

Mrs. Chrissy T said...

To be honest I usually have a decent order when it comes to balance but this past summer it seems I have been all over the map mentally, spiritually, and physically. We are changing our homeschool "method" fornthe younger ones and I have a Senior this coming school year and I am rushing and planning. I feel for me to SLOW and be present has been difficult. Even in my quiet time. I do it but it doesn't feel as peaceful. When I get like this I picture Jesus and how he would have walked through crowds slowly and intentionally besides rushing around. For some reason it slows me. I also come to your blog...☺! It reminds me to slow.

Leanne said...

These are some of the things that work for me...
most of them have to do with my attitude versus any actions I take to stay organized :-)
1. Consider others more important than myself... if my agenda is all about me staying on task, then I will get irritated, overwhelmed, angry, and worn out if I have to add on something to the day; I have an unexpected interruption; or I simply can't get it all done
2. Keep it simple... I love pinterest; I love HGTV; I love the "look" of a well-kept home, clean laundry (folded and pressed of course!), and piping hot cooked food on a beautiful table-- however-- all this can STRESS ME OUT... so... I accept the reality of full laundry baskets, crock-pot meals, paper plates, and ordering pizza... I try to keep clutter to a minimum and engage my children in chores as they are able..
3. GET IT DONE BEFORE BED OR IN THE MORNING IF IT ALL POSSIBLE... especially, when school starts..
4. Ask my husband for both help and wisdom... its amazing what his priorities are versus mine...and he often can pick my "time wasters" out much better than me...and he is a much better cook than I am (so, I'll often get all the things out to cook dinner and he'll just make it while I work on other things)...
5. I remind myself I can start over... like today... my house is a bit of a mess and my heart is a bit of a mess with work committments, getting ready for back to school, and ending what seemed too short a summer... so, today, I'm going to get things a bit back in order anda create whatever peace I can today...and maybe leave some room for a Target trip and a haircut
6. Finally, I start the day in the Word and prayer... that's the most important thing.. today was a "preach the Gospel" to myself kind of morning after a rough night of sleep and a very painful neck ache...I am forgiven... a daughter of the King... my works and failures are not factored into my righteousness and there is much rest there!!
p.s. I love the pie picture!!!!!

Wendi said...

I love the visual with the pie. I tend to be an all or nothilng person so my balance can easily become out of whack. I am learning to set goals for things and complete them little by little. I also need to be kind to myself as I am very critical of what I see as my faults and failing. I'm a work in progress but aren't we all!

Lauren K. said...

Struggling with balance as well. There are things I need to do (cleaning,cooking ect) and things I want to do( declutter,read,watch a movie) along with homeschooling my girls and caring for a hyperactive special needs foster son (whom we are now adopting). He has 4 therapies a week and I am trying to streamline (SLOW) our week so we are home more. Praying Jesus guides me to organize our day to bring about CALM.