Tuesday, July 14, 2015

A Bowl Full of Courage


We've been away camping for a few days and now that we are home I knew I needed to get out in the yard and pick blueberries! I am so grateful for the gift of these bushes several years ago and how many blueberries we've picked the last two years - amazing!

I have had a hard time motivating my little helpers to pick blueberries with me because of the heat, bugs, blackberry brambles around the bottom, etc... And, I have to confess I have struggled some too.

Yesterday morning, I picked the above quart of berries and felt so grateful for the harvest and provision. There is something so gratifying about harvesting from your own yard and enjoying, sharing and storing for the months ahead.

But I have to be honest, I was trembling. I saw a snake, I was sweating like crazy, the bugs were everywhere. Have I ever mentioned that I don't like bugs very much?! :)

Yet I made myself just keep going in courage. I wanted to receive the blessing of pressing on in the face of wanting to give up, I wanted to receive the blessing of the harvest God provided and I wanted to remember this lesson of choosing courage and bravery.

I don't think of myself as brave or courageous, but I do know that when I want to accomplish something I will generally just gut it out and make it happen. I have these lovely visions of gardening and then the weeds take over and it gets hot enough I could melt and the bugs give me the shivers over and over and over. I keep trying and I keep wanting to choose to just do little bits every morning before it gets too hot.

For right now, I am so grateful for the gift of learning and that God is not done with me yet. He is still working on me! And, I'm grateful for that bowl full of courage which will nourish tummies as well as my heart.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Amen! Lovely berries. God blesses us when we choose courage. I'm learning myself.
Christina

Nori Coleman said...

I have been learning those same lessons lately! Perseverance, trusting and waiting on the Lord! Be not afraid for he is at our side and with us always! Have a beautiful day!

Mom said...

A snake?!? Oh my word, did you ever earn those blueberries! :) You go, girl!

Shelby said...

I'm with your mom, yikes I am terrified of snakes.... eekk makes my hair stand on edge. Brave girl.