Thursday, March 05, 2015

Bonus Slow Day





It seems the phrase Teaching from a Place of Rest has come up numerous times around me this past school year. It also seems that we have struggled more this school year than any other - yes I can put my finger on some reasons. As a result of the struggles, we are struggling more with school and the struggles continue and multiply and tire out mama.

Like everything, I've heard many times that this too shall pass. I really dislike hearing that phrase when I'm in the midst of something trying even though it is true. But, we keep on keeping on and we do the best we can everyday to learn and grow together.




I am trying partly out of desire and partly out of necessity to relax our expectations. I don't want to spend my school hours barking at my children, sighing loudly about how little we've gotten done in how much time, showing exasperation a.g.a.i.n. that we are still on Math. Whew.

All of the above leaves us somewhat unmotivated or perhaps it is just truly in need of slowing more and more and more. Now, the girls room gets the warmest of any room in our house. One chilly morning they ask to have school in there.

The sunlight. Seriously. The beauty. How unmotivated we were, how snuggly and warm we were. We did some school, we played with Lala Loopsies - which by the way - they get out terribly infrequently these days so I want to enjoy every moment they do get them out.

I will never, ever regret enjoying, ooohing and aaahing over all the cute little details of their clothes, accessories and general cuteness. I love seeing all the little pets lined up in Samuel's car as he boy-ifies all the pink and girlyness.





And, there is this which I have written and thought and said many, many times before. I will never regret slowing to enjoy moments like these.

It was worth saying again even if only for myself. Because no matter how hard we try to slow, we still feel too busy and fast.

I've known how much clutter unsettles me - but it is clear to me that it creates stress in my heart and mind and therefore I am grouchy to my family. I cannot truly relax or rest with lots of clutter around. This was a common thread in the comments when I posted about rest earlier this year.




 
Wow, this post is all over the place and you know, this is just how we are right now. A bonus Slow Day is always a good idea and I'm trying to even fit in pockets of slow to everyday days and moments.









4 comments:

Julian said...

I think your slow day was what everyone needed. I'm the same way about clutter, and my kids are much older. They are right, this too shall pass. But you are blessed, because you took the time to go slow, and enjoy the day with your kiddos , and not only will that stick in their minds as a learning but also as a treasured memory in their hearts. Be encouraged! You're doing a great job! Christina

Anonymous said...

Dear Monica,

Slow is good. There will come a day when your babes no longer want to play with their toys. Then, there will be much more time for school books and study. I have watched that happen in my own babes. I miss those simple sweet times. I so understand now, what those older ladies used to say to me...enjoy this time it passes so quickly. You are teaching so much every moment of every day, even with play. I love your slow days, i love my slow days :-). tammy

Anonymous said...

I agree, Monica. You are doing a GREAT job. You are much too hard on yourself and I think you do so much better than the average home-schooling mama!!

I'm proud of you and I love you very much.

Grandma

Blissful & Domestic said...

Slow is always good. I too struggle with feeling like we are not getting enough done in terms of schooling. Some days I look at the clock and feel like the time is going by so fast and we are going so slow. I think it is important for us to let go of those expectations. If it takes us all day to get through a lesson,then so be it. At least we know our children will be able to truly grasp what we're tackling. This is something I've been trying to remind myself of daily. Keep at it Mama! I'm cheering you along:)