Thursday, February 13, 2014

A Zulka Sugar Review and Two Recipes!




I recently received a bag of Zulka Morena Pure Cane Sugar to try out and review here. I've sort of steered away from sugar substitutions because so many of them are not all-natural. This one is and in addition is vegan and non-GMO. I also like that it can be used cup for cup as a substitution - with no weird calculating of different quantities. And, it tastes like sugar. Ahem.

There is also great info on their website about their sustainable process and small family farms plus making their own electricity by using fiber leftover from the cane processing. Zulka is not refined and less processed. It's also much more comparable in price to sugar than many other sweetener alternatives and you can get a coupon on their website.

So far, I've used it in Peanut Butter Brownies, homemade coffee creamer and Banana Bread! Yum!




Peanut Butter Brownies
2 c. flour {I use freshly ground hard white wheat}
2 tsp. baking powder
2/3 c. peanut butter {I use creamy}
1/2 c. softened butter
2/3 c. sugar {obviously I used Zulka sugar for this!}
2/3 c. brown sugar
4 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
1 1/3 c. chocolate chips

Mix all together in mixer except for the chocolate chips, stir those in at the end. Spread into prepared 9x13 pan and bake at 350 for about 30 minutes.


 


David has started drinking coffee more in the past year and really likes vanilla caramel liquid coffee creamer. I've been buying it at the grocery store but recently decided to try the homemade kind. I scoured Pinterest for a bunch of recipes to compare and they seem to all call for a can of sweetened condensed milk. I never buy it and usually use a substitute. So, I'm sharing my combo that doesn't call for buying a can of anything but can be made from pantry basics. David says it works great in his coffee and it is considerably cheaper than buying the pre-made at the grocery store.

Homemade Coffee Creamer:
3/4 c. powdered milk
3/4 c. sugar {I used Zulka}
1/2 c. hot water
Place in an old creamer container or jar and shake very well to combine.

Add:
1 3/4 c. milk
2 tsp. vanilla
2 Tbsp. caramel ice cream topping

Shake again very well and store in the refrigerator.

Enjoy!

Disclaimer: I received the Zulka sugar at no cost to share here. All thoughts above are my own.