Monday, October 24, 2011

Days of Beauty; When Beauty is Hard to Find

It had actually been a really good day. We had a great school time, which almost always means my house is going to fall apart shortly thereafter.

I started to feel a little behind by mid-afternoon as I was hurrying to put chili in the Crock Pot and take Emily to ballet. And, I got home in good time feeling great that dinner was ready - and feeling optimistic about the open time ahead in the evening.

But, stress found its way in through a host of needs my family had. And, as I felt the pressure of the needs, the clutter around me seemed to multiply instantly. Of course, this multiplied my stress and so continued the downward spiral.

In the midst of this, I was feeling anything but beauty around me. It seemed everywhere I looked was work waiting for me. And, I simply could not keep up with how fast it was accumulating.

I quickly ran outside to put something away noticing tons more work that needed to be done. And as I scurried in quickly - my eye caught something in the dirt. Yes, nothing around but dirt and this one pretty leaf.

I know that God brought my eye to this for the restoration it would provide me for even a few minutes. Just getting a glimpse of beauty did lift my spirits. I grabbed the leaf, thankful for the distraction and for something beautiful to gaze upon. To be able to forget my previous struggle for a moment and to have my focus adjusted.

Just looking at the beauty of the leaf helped my attitude and outlook. Yet, it reminds me that I don't want to come across that life is always perfectly beautiful and should look like a magazine. Life is messy. Beauty is messy.

I am thankful that God provided me a deep breath, a sigh of relief in seeing a lovely leaf. And, I remember that it was simply lying in the dirt where He opened my eyes to its beauty. No, to even noticing it existed and then to its beauty. Amid the grime and grit of life - may we allow Him to draw our eyes Heavenward, upward and toward small glimpses of beauty.

7 comments:

LynnMarie said...

Well said.

Elaine said...

Meaningful post!

angie said...

The power of finding beauty in the humblest things makes home happy and life lovely. ~Louisa May Alcott

Kelly said...

What perfect timing for this post! I have been struggling with the SAME exact stresses and demands at home. Thank you for your perspective and encouraging words!

Carrie said...

AMEN!

barbara said...

It was really hard to find beauty 2 days before you posted this - I was holding my sister's hand as she died. But I've been looking for the beauty in it - she is with Jesus! I've heard countless stories of how she shared Jesus! What more beauty could I ask for?! Thanks for always being an encouragement.

Barbara H. said...

I'm here from Carrie's -- lovely post!