Monday, May 05, 2008

Picnic Bench Cushions

I've seen some cute picnic cushions in catalogs these days, and while it would be lovely to use these little beauties - they are neither practical (need to store, probably wouldn't use that often) or affordable. So, here is what I came up with for making your own. The best part is that you can assemble these when you need them and disassemble them when you're done! Cost: free!

Head over to your kitchen and pick out some dish towels:
Fold the towel in half with the right sides together:

Now pin two of the sides with safety pins (keep one of the short ends open):

Turn "cushion cover" right side out. Now, head to your linen closet and pick out some bath towels - you'll need one for each cushion. Open the towel up and fold in thirds (top to bottom):
Now fold in almost-thirds again (kind of just fold back the edges until they meet or until it is the right size for your "case"):

Slide towel into "case" ~ oh, how cute! Picnic seat cushions!

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Clever! It helps when you have such cute dish towels! :) Great idea -- love you, Mom

*carrie* said...

Darling idea. I agree with Mom--those towels make them super cute!

~*Marie*~ said...

Monica, you come up with some really cute and simple idea and this is one of them. How adorable and super easy, plus you aren't storing them when you aren't using them. I will use this idea over and over again, and be able to change the decor as I feel the whim come along. Thanks for sharing!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh these are so cute. I love those towells! Thanks for sharing. I'll have to try this sometime.

GeonHui's Bakery said...

Those are too cute!! And I second the opinions of others those dish towels are so fun! I love that these can be disassembled!

Linds

Anonymous said...

Very creative! :)

Anonymous said...

Very cute and well thought out, Monica!

Another bonus: washable!!!

Andrea L.

Wendi said...

Cute and easy, love it!

~katie~ said...

Just darling!!! I love checkered fabrics...such a neat idea! Thanks for sharing. It looks like a picnic day today out my windows!

Mary Ann said...

What a great idea! I'm all for practical! And I'm also quite partial to anything in gingham. These would also make cute temporary seat cushions.

Liisa said...

Love this idea! Thank you for sharing!

Blessings,
Liisa

Amy said...

Those are so cute! I have the same exact set of towels too :) You are such a creative person!

Michelle-ozark crafter said...

Now that is a smart idea!

Anonymous said...

What a fantastic idea! I will try that at my house. Your blog is absolutely wonderful. I come back from time to time to enjoy it. Thank you.