Thursday, March 13, 2008

Clean Heart: Part Thirteen

It's been a little while since I posted something on this series - but my journal still holds entries I'd like to share on this topic. Since I didn't do any Spring Cleaning yesterday, I thought this would be a good time to pause and get one of these posts in.

Do my priorities reflect a clean heart?

What are my priorities? (Listed randomly, not necessarily in order...)
* My walk with God
* My husband and children
* My home
* Family and Friends
* Crafting and Creating
* Church and Outreach

What are God's thoughts on my priorities?
* Titus 2: husband; children; be at home
* My relationship with Him
* Proverbs 31: reaching out to help the poor; managing my home
* Talents and gifts He has entrusted to us

This answer, like schedule, has the tendency to be varied. Even in one hour, I could choose the right priority once and then make a poor decision 15 minutes later. Overall, it seems like my priorities are in order - but when I look deeper and really search my heart and consider my motives - I see room for change and growth.

So, a good question could be - How can I practice choosing God's priorities for my day?
* Start my day by asking for His guidance and a heart that is sensitive to hearing and obeying it.
* Scripture Memory
* Ask myself important questions before making decisions - will this make me more like God? Will this help someone else know more about God?
* Plan my day according to the priorities God has laid on my heart, but leave room for flexibility too.

6 comments:

*carrie* said...

Monica,

I've been asking some similiar questions and look forward to talking with you about this tomorrow.

Jan said...

Monica, I have to tell you that something you wrote spoke to me. I'll spare the details but your words "talents and gifts He has entrusted to us" feels like an answer to a question that has been on my mind.

~katie~ said...

Great post Monica! I really have enjoyed this clean heart series as it has caused me to evaluate much of how I spend my time and priorities. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Hey Monica,
I've been *away*for awhile and am happy to come*visit* you again. Thank you for this post. I gotta get a better grip on follow thru w/the priorities. I so appritiate the reminder ;^)! A sweet friend just gave me the book *A Life That Says Welcome* by Karen Ehman. Have you this book? Thanks again for your thoughtfilled post. You are a precious sister in Jesus to want to encourage us all in so many different ways. tammyp

Farmhouse Blessings said...

This devotion really spoke to me today as well. I'm looking forward to going back and reading your other "Clean Heart" reflections. Thank you.

Be blessed,
Lea

Monica Wilkinson said...

Tammy P: I don't have that book but have seen it mentioned various places before. It sounds like a great theme!
Monica