Friday, November 09, 2007

Pumpkin Butter

Yes, here it is - another post about pumpkin butter! After my last update on wanting to cook my pumpkin, puree and can - a reader sent me this recipe. (I have misplaced who sent this to me - if it was you - please let me know and I'll edit this to give you the credit!)

She mentioned that she has made this and canned it and had it safely on her shelf for a year with no problem. So, I decided to give it a try. After all, it does use purchased pumpkin that has already been through the canning process.

Anyway - this was SUPER easy and smelled heavenly! Our house smelled like Christmas the rest of the day! I ran out of jelly sized jars - so had some left over that I did not can. And, since I was making waffles for dinner - I made this up as I went along by modifying my usual waffle recipe.

Pumpkin Butter Waffles

2 eggs
1/2 c. whole wheat flour
1 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
1/4 c. vegetable oil
1 c. pumpkin butter
4 tsp. baking powder

Whisk together and cook in waffle iron.

Yummy! We all loved these and agreed that the taste was subtle enough to not be overpowering, but you could definitely taste the spices!

Update: I got too afraid to eat the jars I had canned and put on our shelf since there are so many cautions about canning pumpkin butter. So, if I do this again - I will try to use it up fresh or freeze it.

7 comments:

Mary Ann said...

This looks really good and would be a nice addition to my homemade Christmas gifts!

Angela - Life w/ Two Busy Boys said...

Great to know! I'll be making this - this afternoon as I was going to make it before...but didn't when I heard about not canning pumpkin butter. Yay!!

*carrie* said...

Mmmm, good idea, Monica.

Does 2:30 your time work today? Hope so!

Amy said...

This would make a great hostess gift. Thank you so much for sharing the recipe! Now I need to get some canning jars and work on this for the holidays. Thank you for the great ideas!!

Anonymous said...

Monica,
I too can pumpkin butter. Have been for 4 seasons now. I do want to mention though that the USDA has not approved canning it. It is not under their list of safe things to can.
I have read it, and still decided that I will continue to can it however I am always thinking about the fact that it can go bad unknowing to myself. I tend not to give much if any to my wee ones.

Anonymous said...

Yum! My mouth is watering just reading that recipe. Pumpkin pie is a favorite of my oldest. I bet he'd enjoy these waffles as well.

Amy~~ said...

This sounds wonderful!
I visit your blog weekly and it always puts a smile on my face!
Amy~