Friday, May 04, 2007

Peg Board

This is one of those projects that I've had in the works for a few months - it has just taken a while to get around to each step. But, here goes...month after month the catalogs arrived and I would always admire these. So, I made a trip to the hardware store and found out that I could make my own for a fraction of the price. One sheet of pegboard cut into 18" squares yielded ten squares which would have cost me nearly $300 but was less than a mere $20 including paint.



I had the squares cut to 18" and then bought pink and white spray paints for just a dollar or two a can. I sprayed the boards outside and let dry.

Then, David installed the long strips for me to mount them on. These were attached to the studs and their main purpose was to raise the board off of the wall, so that the hooks would not gouge the wall as we would put them in/out.

I attached the boards to the strips with upholstery tacks (0.97 for 25) and voila! Then, using some Christmas money - I did order some of the charming hooks and pegs for the boards. The wire basket was 0.25 at a thrift store and painted to match.

I love this for Emily's room because she can change what is on it as much as desired without completely redoing the art or hanging items in the room, it seems like it can grow with her very easily. I also installed two boards behind her door for hanging dress-up clothes on. For that, I just bought the pegs from the hardware store $2 or $3 for a box.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

You did a great job, Monica! It's such a cute project. You are so inspiring! :)

Blessings to you,
Michelle J

Mary Ann said...

Cute idea! Isn't it something how very often the cutest and most expensive items in stores/catalogs are the easiest and most inexpensive to do yourself? Great job!

Anonymous said...

Very creative! I will share this with my sister. She is looking for ideas for my niece's room.

Jenn said...

That is really too cute. I LOVE it! What a good idea. And thrifty too I bet. :) No one would ever guess it though.

Jenn

Paula said...

What an awesome project! This would be a great organizational tool for our schoolroom. :-)

3boysmama said...

what a great idea! I hardly ever look through the pottery barn catalog b/c i can't afford anything. I should look just for ideas!
I love the clips...I think you could buy those at an office supply store too.

Amy said...

Very cute! You should be really proud of yourself!!