Thursday, May 17, 2007

God's Word: Doorpost

As I mentioned in a post earlier this week, I've had this passage on my mind a lot lately:

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength. These commandments that I give you today are to be upon your hearts. Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up. Tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads. Write them on the doorframes of your houses and on your gates." Deuteronomy 6:5-9

An idea began in my heart - to actually put God's word on our doorframe. So, here is what I came up with...

I first had to decide what verse or verses to use, I chose:

"The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make his face shine upon you and be gracious to you; the Lord turn his face toward you and give you peace." Numbers 6:24-26

I typed up the verse using a large font size and printed it out. Then, I cut out the letters with an x-acto knife to make a stencil.

Next, I cut apart the phrases and taped them up on the wall with double-stick tape.

Then, I traced the letters onto the wall with a pencil. I added in the bits that were cut out such as the inside of an 'e' or 'd' - this was considerably easier than trying to save those little pieces to trace around.

The next step was to remove the paper and start painting! I used black craft paint - the kind you can get for 50 cents or so at a craft store on sale. After the paint was all the way dry - touched up by erasing any remaining pencil marks. All done!

23 comments:

Jenn said...

Yep, that is one of my favorites! I had wanted to do this, too. You've done a great job!!!

Jenn

*carrie* said...

Mo, what a cool idea! Scripture on your floor and in every room, and now over your door--great reminders and a wonderful example to the little ladies. love, me

Anonymous said...

Just lovely! :o)
Tamara in North Carolina

Anonymous said...

You are so creative and I enjoy seeing all of the projects you do!

Blessings,
Michelle J

Anonymous said...

Our church has scripture stenciling throughout the building. I always think how cute it is. I just love that you brought it into your home!

melissa said...

love it! what size font did you end up with?

Anonymous said...

It seems since the days of old we humans need something daily to make us remember our Great God who brought us out of whatever mess to be with Him. What a beautiful reminder above your door! Now to convince my older children this doesn't mean they should go out and get a tatoo! :)

Anonymous said...

Nicely done!

Monica Wilkinson said...

Melissa - the font size is 95 until the reference which is size 65.

It's a Mom Thing said...

Monica, You are just so cool! Maybe if we could hang out a little, I could be a quarter as cool as you!

I love that Scripture above your door. I've been thinking about painting Scripture in a few different rooms in our home, and after seeing your's, I'm certain I will....one day.

Monica Wilkinson said...

Miriam - you can do totally do this! Next time you're around here - why don't you come over and hang out, I'm sure our little girls would have a blast playing together and I know that I'd love to visit with you too!! (I saw your comment on Gini's blog - and you won't ever have to invite yourself over - you have a standing invite!)

Angel said...

I love that!

I've rededicated my life recently after being away from God for about 8 years. Though I must admit I have been feeling overwhelmed.

Anyway, I think this is a great idea, and I read that you have scripture on your floor as well? How neat!

Sara said...

Monica, that is SO impressive. I could never cut out letters using an exacto knife. It's beautiful! You are very talented, to God by the glory!

Sara said...

Monica, that is so amazing. I could never cut out letters using an exacto knife! You are very talented, to God by the glory!

mama k said...

That is awesome! I don't think I'd have the patience to cut out all. those. little. bitty. letters though. :)

~aj~ said...

This is a wonderful idea and you did a very good job with it!

Anonymous said...

How lovely!
I'm filing this away for future use! Thanks for sharing!

Jthemilker said...

Lovely idea. I have a friend who has done something similar. Maybe someday when I have my own home. On another note - you could probably make a few dollars selling templates such as this. Think about it!!! I might be your first customer!

JacquiG said...

Deuteronomy 6:5-9 is the basis for Orthodox Jewish men using teffilin, the little boxes containing scripture that they fasten to their arms and to their foreheads when they pray ("Tie them as symbols on yoour handa and bind them on your foreheads"). It is also the basis for having a Mezzuzah on the doors of Jewish homes (Write them on the doorframes of your houses and upon your gates).

Amy said...

Very neat idea! Thanks for sharing that cool craft. It is a great reminder!

Anonymous said...

Great idea!

Paige said...

This verse is the verse I say to "bless" the boys everynite before bed. They will NOT sleep without their blessing. I say:
"May the Lord Bless you and Keep you, May he make His face to shine upon you and be gracious to you, May he lift up your face with His countenance and give you His Peace, in the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit". When I say the "father, son, holy spirit" part I "cross" my finger on their foreheads in the style of the catholics. When we are all done I tuck them in and verbally say "tuck, tuck, tuck, tuck" and finish with "good night, sleep tight, don't let the bed bugs bite." funny how something so simple can be so precious to even the youngest child!

TulipGirl said...

Beautiful! But I do not know how you managed to cut out that stencil. . .