Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Bathroom Drawer: Re-Do!

As you can see, my drawer needed some re-organization! This is one of those places that seems to get organized and then fall back into disorder and repeat multiple times! So, this time I tried to think through how to make it more useful and help keep it neat, plus have it look pretty too!

What started my thinking was an idea in the most recent Better Homes & Gardens. They suggested using lace tacked around the inside of the drawer to hold certain items upright and in place. It was so pretty - I pulled out the supplies.

This lace was made by my Memee's mother! In between, I used simple thumbtacks and then hot glued buttons on to make them look prettier!

I grouped a bunch of small seldom-used items into a canning jar at the back.

I hung a ribbon at the front to clip hair barettes and clips onto.

Then, for my makeup - I remembered this old silver butter dish that I got a few months ago at a thrift store. It was black, but I polished it and it is such a pretty addition to my drawer!

You may have noticed that I changed my Scripture verse at the left to Deuteronomy 6:5-9. I've had this passage on my mind a lot lately and am making an effort of incorporating Scripture more into our daily lives. So, I wrote out two verses on a card and attached them to the top of the butter dish with a ribbon. This morning, I took the lid off and read it while I was getting ready for the day...I love these words.


"Do not let your adorning be external - the braiding of hair, the wearing of gold, or the putting on of clothing - but let your adorning be the hidden person of the heart with the imperishable beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which in God's sight is very precious." 1 Peter 3:3-4, ESV

Here is the finished product (note: I did move some things out of the drawer that were not being used very frequently so as to tidy up the inside even more) :

Best of all - I stuck to my spend-nothing to fix it up challenge! Amount spent: zero!

17 comments:

Jenn said...

Very nice! What a big difference. All my boys would have this torn up, but I will mentally file it away for when they are older! ;-) I really like it!

Jenn

Anonymous said...

Heh heh... What my Pretty Little Lady failed to mention was "Mama's Little Helper" who was not :) Looks great though!

Peace, Joy, & Love

Anonymous said...

What great ideas. I love to organize, and I love beauty. The lace idea and ribbon idea are awesome!

Wendi said...

The lace is such a great idea! I love that verse, one of my favorites.

Wendi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mary Ann said...

Very nice-I like the lace idea! I've been putting Scriptures all over my house lately, too. I love having it to meditate on when going to bed at night, on the kitchen cabinet to read while running the mixer,etc. What a great verse for the bathroom!

mamabeck said...

What a beautiful job!

I love reading your blog...it encourages me to use what I have and make it pretty, for my family, not just "others". Thank you for this ministry!

Blessings,
beck

Anonymous said...

Love Love Love all the ideas!! I especially love the scripture idea!
Thanks Monica again for all your wonderful ideas and taking the time to post about them.
Grace

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the wonderful idea...I love reading your blog!

3boysmama said...

I *love* the lace idea to stand up some items. What a great idea! I don't think my drawer is deep enough though....

Chrissy said...

Very nice! I actually have the same shelf paper inside my kitchen cabinets ~ great minds think alike!

Anonymous said...

What a cute idea! Wish I had drawers...Where did you get the drawer liner from? It is very pretty.
Elise

Anonymous said...

I love your creativity. I'm craft challenged but I am able to appreciate other people's abilities in this area!

Charlotte Cushman said...

Monica - I love your drawer! Did you try to call me today? Are you going to be at the tea party on Fri? I am going to go back and read the organization posts Paige said they inspired her. Love you char

Intentional Living Homestead said...

That is a great idea...need to try that soon...enjoy reading your blog.

www.homesteadblogger.com/schatzi

Anonymous said...

Monica, this is so you! :) Love it!

Love, Mom

Susan said...

I absolutely love this idea! Very feminine as well as useful.