Monday, February 26, 2007

Mitford Meal

My Mom was here all last week and we are both Mitford fans. I received the cookbook as a gift and suggested we plan a "Mitford" meal while she was here. It was sooooo yummy!

We made Cynthia's Roast Chicken, Louella's Mashed Potatoes, Cynthia's Green Beans, Cynthia's Glazed Carrots and Lottie Greer's Country Biscuits. "Man!" (to quote Dooley) This meal was heavenly.
For dessert, we had Emma's Pound Cake with strawberries and whipped cream.

We set a fancy table using a twin sheet for the table cloth. Small canning jars were filled halfway with dried lavender and topped with a votive holder and tealight.

But, better than the food, is the time spent together making this meal. I know you've all been there when you are trying to do something like this. Both girls were needy, we were trying new recipes and were tripping over all the toys on the floor and, all this used a TON of dishes! Surely kitchens never seemed this messy in Mitford! I guess we should have called Puny to come help out!
We got so loopy we were giggling like little girls when David walked in the front door and while we could explain why we were laughing, it never seemed as funny to him. So, we made a wonderful meal that we won't soon forget - but tossed in were some fun new memories!

12 comments:

Chrissy said...

That sounds like so much fun!

Anonymous said...

The table looks beautiful and the food looks delicious - you and your mom really outdid yourselves! Glad that you had such a special time together making such wonderful memories :)

Blessings,
Michelle from MI

Mary Ann said...

This looks great! I love the Mitford cookbook. And not to worry-the kitchen mess looks all too familiar.:-)

Lisa said...

Mitford is my all time favorite series of books.

I wish I could have been there. My mouth used to water just reading what Puny was cooking Father Tim. I want to try her cake of corn bread sometime.

Blessings
Lisa

Susan P. said...

How fun! Not only does the food look delicious and the table is beautiful, the best part was making wonderful memories with your Mama! Priceless:)

Jenn said...

I think that is a wonderful time to share with your mom! Looks so elegant and yummy, too. I ordered a few of the books on paperbackswap.com, but no cookbook.

JEnn

Anonymous said...

The food looks delicious and the table setting is great. Too bad such a great meal creates so many dirty dishes! My least favorite part of cooking.

I have heard such great things in blog land about the Mitford series I have added it my reading wish list.

Anonymous said...

Dear Monica -- I loved reading your account and seeing the photos of our Mitford meal and preparations! :) The meal was absolutely delicious, and it was so fun to prepare and enjoy it with you and your sweet family. Another priceless memory!

Love, Mom

Christy said...

Oh, it sounds delicious and looks beautiful. What fun. You are blessed to have that kind of relationship with your mother!

Southern Girl said...

What a wonderful idea! I love this. My mom just read the Mitford novels last year and still talks about them all the time. I may see if she'd like to have our own Mitford meal and invite some lady friends over. :)

Gini (Hallquist) Young said...

Man what fun! And with your mom no less! If you've read one sentence from Mitford books then you couldn't put them down! I too love them, but forgot all about the cookbook! That sounds like a future get together plan for some of my mom to mom gals around here

Hopewell said...

Lovely!! Too bad you didn't have the Vanilla Muffins--so far my favorite from the Mitford Cookbook. What a great way to enjoy spending time with your Mom!