Friday, January 26, 2007

Tea Party By Mail

Recently my Mom and I were talking about how it is hard to live away from each other. Then, a few days later while laying in bed - I had an idea!

I gathered some tea bags and wrapped them in a cute sheer bag. I mixed all the dry ingredients for these scones and toasted the pecans and mixed that with the chocolate chips - putting all these in ziplocs. And, I included a copy of the recipe.

Then, I read some short stories while recording with the video camera and had David put it on a DVD.

So, when my Mom opened her package - it was a tea party in the mail. I sent a card explaining for her to make her tea and scones and then put the DVD in and we could sort of be together because I was on the screen.

The envelope cost so little to mail - but the blessing was great when my Mom expressed her appreciation and enjoyment of this! Just another idea to encourage families who live far apart.

6 comments:

Susan P. said...

My sweet Mama is 500 miles away from me so I understand how hard it is. This is such a lovely way to spend time "together."

Anonymous said...

My Grandson lives on the West Coast and I live on the East so this is a wonderful Idea for us! Thank you. I'm going home and putting together a cookie mix and something. Thank you so much.

Anonymous said...

Monica,
I just love reading your blog. I discovered it not long before Thanksgiving, and each time I sit down at my computer I look forward to seeing what creative, beautiful new thing you've come up with.

Anonymous said...

Dear sweet Monica,

This was such a thoughtful gift to me! It was a joy to see you and hear your voice on the DVD as you read heartwarming stories. Of course, it was a bit emotional, too -- but that's OK!

The tea and scones were delicious! But the most special part of this gift was that it was from your heart! :)

I love you very much!
Mom

Anonymous said...

I thought this was the sweetest idea and can't wait to use it.

Ditto to wha anonymous said, I love reading what "creative, beautiful, new thing you've come up with."

Mary said...

Lovely idea you had. It reminded me of when my siblings and I were children; our dad spent six long weeks in the hospital recovering from an accident. Back in the 60's children weren't allowed to visit hospital patients. My mom carried tape recorded messages back and forth with her every day when she visited, so that we could keep in touch with our dear father.