Friday, February 23, 2007

Felt China Protectors

I saw this great idea on Martha's show months ago ~ making protectors out of felt to go between each piece of china! This was perfect for me as I did not have anything in between my dishes. Wouldn't this make a great gift for a new bride? Simply check her registry for sizes and quantities and then present her a lovely set?

It is extra exciting to me to have a cabinet to put all my china in! I have been looking for, waiting for and working on a china cabinet for well over a year now. So, my Mom and I moved all my china in this week and it looks so beautiful that I've walked over just to open the doors and look inside!

Here is how I made the felt rounds:

I taped two pieces of printer paper together and traced the dinner plate, salad plate, saucer and bowl on it. And, I wrote next to that how many of each one I needed. I started with the largest and moved down so that I could just trim that part away and not waste lots of paper in the making process.

I pinned the pattern to my felt and started cutting (I used pinking shears to give it a pretty edge) and kept a tally right on the pattern so I knew how many I'd already made and how many more I needed.

Here are the three sizes I cut:

And, stacked between my dishes!

10 comments:

Lisa said...

I love the cabinet. Very nice!

Thanks for doing the Homemakeing MeMe. It was kinda long.

Blessings
Lisa

Anonymous said...

Your china cabinet looks great! I know you will enjoy reaching for those tea cups versus the dreaded "trek" to the back of the kitchen cabinet. I think we should plan a special tea just so we can enjoy using your china with such convenience!!!

Love, Mel

Carrie J said...

Wonderful idea! I have tissue paper between my china, which in real life is ceramic dishes. I am going to make some of these.

Anonymous said...

I think that's an incredible gift idea!

I used cheap styrofoam plates between my better dishes, but your rounds are much nicer.

Chrissy said...

What a wonderful idea! I never thought to do anything like that...maybe now I will - in my spare time - ha!

Jthemilker said...

I love your idea, especially the thought that it would make a nice wedding gift. That IS thoughtful! Someday when I actually have my china out of its boxes, I shall make some of these. Thanks for the tip!

elizabeth said...

This is such a good idea and so timely as I just inherited my grandmother's china. I'm going to put this on my list of things to get done so that the set will always stay nice.

Love what I can see of your new cabinet, too!

Amy said...

What a great gift idea! I love this idea! Thanks for the demonstration of how to do it! That will be a great weekend project for me!

Amy said...

Oh, Monica, where do you purchase your felt? Do you have a place where you have found the prices to be cheapest?

Monica Wilkinson said...

I responded to Amy via e-mail, but just in case any of you are interested in where I got the felt:

I bought the felt at Jo-Anns, it is not the cheapest there, but it is such nice quality - much better than just regular crafting felt. You can also use the 40% off coupons sometimes available on fabric cuts and that would bring the price down even more.

Thanks for all your encouragement and sweet comments!