Friday, March 31, 2006

Plumbing 102


Our tub drain was running a little slow and I had recently used a commercial drain cleaner only to have this repeat. So, I decided to try a homemade remedy and see how it compared.

Pour 1/2 c. baking soda in drain. Follow with 1/2 c. white vinegar. Cover with rag (will foam) and let sit for 5 minutes. Flush with boiling water.

So far, this seems to be very effective as this morning during my shower, there was no extra water waiting to drain. It is also a very natural cleaner and my favorite part is that it costs about 0.20 per application as compared to bottle of commercial cleaner. The commercial bottle costs at least $3 and they tell you to use 1/4-1/2 of the bottle per application. So, you can see the savings.

Time will really tell if this is effective, though after nearly 48 hours, I am very pleased with the results!

3 comments:

Mary Ann said...

Our bathroom sink runs very slowly every so often and I've been using the commercial drain cleaners too which are so expensive! I recently came across a similar homemade version and had told my husband that next time I am going to try it instead. I'm glad to hear that it seemed to work for you.

Michelle- This One's for the Girls said...

You are the frugal queen. Go Monica!!

Anonymous said...

I use this same treatment for my slow-to-drain kitchen sink. It works wonders. Every couple of months I have to repeat. But it is so easy and so cheap, totally worth the trouble. Also the typical drain cleaners have some pretty scary chemicals in them!

Love your blog BTW! :)

Liz