Thursday, February 23, 2006

Taking It Personally

This morning in an attempt to simplify - I decided not to take my purse to Bible Study - one less bag. So, I put my wallet in with my study materials and was off. Worked great.

I've been trying for three days to get to the grocery store. Between what was on the calendar and Emily's nap time - today was the first afternoon I had to go.

So, off to Wal-Mart we went. Um, anyone see where this is going yet? Yep, you guessed it - I did all my shopping, appeased Emily with graham crackers (which were not the Cheerios she wanted) and got what we needed and even a special treat for dinner.

Off to the self-check-out line. Everything scanned, coupon deducted, groceries bagged in canvas bags from home to cut down on plastic bags, and my check written out.

Oops - forgot my wallet - must be in other bag (yes - simplifying). Oh well, they'll probably still take my check right? Wrong. The girl made me feel like a speck when she told me they did not accept checks without ID.

So, after one hour I came home with no groceries, a change in dinner plans, injured pride, tears in my eyes (yes, the girl made me cry) and after all that I lost my coupon on the cereal I was buying.

Sigh...maybe I'll try again tonight when David is home to stay with Emily. Yes, as the title suggests I DO take everything personally. If anyone wants to suggest that this is just pregnant emotions - please feel free to with-hold your comment, because you know I might take it personally. :)

4 comments:

Kathryn said...

O how horribly frustrating. Last week, they took my check at Ingles with no ID--I was really glad, cause all I had was my checkbook, minus the debit card and drivers license....and just today (confession time)...I forgot my wallet and left it at home...so much for eating lunch out---I had also forgotten my lunch. So I had tea from the breakroom and candy from someones candy dish for lunch. And I'm not pregnant. I don't know where my brain has gone. ;-{

Megan said...

Oh Sweet Monica, I'm so sorry. I used to never shop at Sam's Club, though I was on the Eagle Lake corporate membership. Then one day I thought I'd go and take advantage of it. I hauled Maddie and Chloe (and pregnant with Katie at that time), loaded up a cart full. Got to the checkout only to find out I was no longer on the membership. I had unloaded my cart and everything. They would not budge. No membership, no checking out. Period. I'm half-way embarrassed to say it did not bother me to leave my stuff right there on the conveyor belt for them to deal with. I was tired, I was angry, and yes, I cried too.

I'm very very very sorry this happened to you.

Monica Wilkinson said...

I did get to go last night while David stayed with Emily - and it all worked out. Megan, I thought of you so much as I remember reading a post with a similar title a while back on your blog!

I'm sorry you have both had experiences with this too, but kind of glad to not be alone in feeling this way. Thank you for your kindness...

Anonymous said...

Sounds like something I would do. And yes, I would be more likely to cry when I'm pregnant, but even if not, I'd still be upset. Don't be so hard on yourself.