Saturday, February 25, 2006

The Budget Busting Broom!


Emily has lately become enamored with the broom while I am trying to sweep the floor. So, I thought I'd do a little research on finding a child-size broom that she could play sweep with while I actually got to do the sweeping! I found tons of sites that were praising the use of a toy broom for toddlers, but not many options to purchase one.

The first one I found was just a tad out of our budget especially considering that the broom I use is a one dollar broom from the Dollar Tree! I did find this one also, but am wondering if anyone knows of a store that carries toy brooms where I would not have to pay shipping? Also, David was wondering about just cutting down the handle of a larger broom, though that makes me nervous because of possibilites of splinters no matter how carefully we sand it.

3 comments:

Meredith said...

My son had a small red set from a yard sale, but I have seen the same set at Walmart (broom, dustpan, whisk broom) for not too much. You might also consider getting a real whisk broom, though it would lack the tall handle. I think you could cut a real broom down without worrying about splinters, but I think the weight/balance might be off. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Do you have an IKEA nearby? That's where we got our child-sized broom, and it was only a couple of dollars. (It isn't plastic, either - it's a "real" straw broom with a wooden handle.)

Headmistress, zookeeper said...

Duct tape the end to prevent splinters.